Friday, November 23, 2007

How Can I Tell You That I Love You?

With the holiday season now underway, television is flooded with advertisements for anything and everything. The DeBeers Christmas “Morning Surprise” commercial advertising their Journey Necklace is one I have enjoyed watching the past two years.

In my opinion, Cat Power’s “How Can I Tell You,” song is what makes the commercial so great! Its calmness matches the flow and actions of the husband who is quietly giving his wife the necklace. Without this song, the commercial wouldn’t have the same meaning. The well written lyrics are what convey the message to show the meaning behind DeBeers Journey Necklace.

As the end of the commercial says: “This Christmas, say everything, without saying a word.” (The lyrics are: How can I tell you - That I love you - I love you - I long to tell you - That I'm always thinking of you - I'm always thinking of you - But I can't think of the right words to say)

With the night time setting, the lighting is somewhat dark, and the colors are dull. This allows the necklace to better grab the viewers attention when finally displayed in the woman’s hand.

This commercial is shown throughout the year, just with everyday settings replacing the snow and Christmas tree screens. The closing text is also changed to fit the appropriate occasion.

For some reason, I have always been under the impression this was a commercial for Kay Jewelers until I searched for the commercial on YouTube. One problem I found within this commercial is the company’s name is not displayed. One line of text at the end could easily solve this simple confusion.

Overall, this commercial is just so sweet and romantic. I’m sure many men have seen this on tv and realized how perfect of a gift it would be for any special occasion. After all, what lady would not want her man to surprise her like this?

No comments: