Friday, October 19, 2007

The Beauty of Smoking?!

US Weekly Smoking AD


I was flipping through the first few pages of the October 15th edition of US weekly when an ad immediately caught my attention. A minty-green teal box and hot pink fuchsia and gray letters on a black background read “NOW AVAILABLE: IN STILETTO” and it was surprisingly for Camel No. 9 100’s cigarettes.

Although the word stiletto is referring to a new thinner and longer cigarette, I believe there is an additional hidden meaning. Smoking’s effects are ugly, yet the advertisers tried to make the cause of the problem compare to the beauty of stiletto shoes. So when women who purchase this brand will appear to be cooler than other smokers when they take the lovely box out of their purse.

Apparently they have found a way to target women with their sleek new design and feminine boxes. Although I am not a smoker, this ad and product design appealed to me. However, if I were a smoker, I would definitely purchase their cigarettes in the pretty boxes. Also, the name “Camel No. 9” sounds very similar to the perfume Channel No.9. I find this to be another way for the product to connect with their target audience.

Overall, this is a beautifully designed ad, yet I believe these ads will have an impact on the raise of young female smokers. Magazines should value the health of their readers over profit when publishing these ads.

No comments: